Sunday, December 4, 2011

Math with Christmas Lights

Lately, Kendi has been focusing on mastering number writing and understanding how double digits are written. This is the first Christmas we have spent in our house and we weren't sure we had enough working Christmas lights to put up outside. I didn't want to repair lights unless I knew I needed them so we decided to measure how much we would need. I know there is a lot more math involved in putting up Christmas lights than this, but having her practice writing double digits is just what she needed right now so that is all I had her do. As I measured she wrote down the numbers. It really helped her learn how a number like forty five is translated into 45.
I feel like I'm becoming one of those crazy homeschool moms that make everything into a learning lesson. There is definitely a balance to how many questions to ask and how many things to point out to a child throughout the day. I learned that when an opportunity arises, instead of jumping all over it, it is better to give just enough information to make her curious and start asking the questions. Sometimes I still can't help myself. A couple of days ago it was snowing so bad that we were running to get in the car to go home. As we were running I shouted to Kendi, "Look at these snowflakes, they really look like crystals!" No one else seemed to care as much as I did at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment