Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Grebe Rescue

Today was a day that made me especially glad we homeschool. We woke up to a little bit of snow this morning. Snow was not the only thing that fell out of the sky. A very large flock of Grebe were migrating and ran into the storm and it literally knocked them down. They were all over town this morning. Apparently, they need water to take off again so they were stuck here. The DWR had been up all night gathering birds. My parents woke up to one on their deck and another on their roof and when they looked across the street to the horse corral there were dozens more. My dad called us to come help and we got there just after the DWR showed up. They let us help gather them up.

This lady was so nice to the kids. She told us all about the birds and how she'd been working all night. I was glad to see a female DWR officer out in the field because all through high school I thought I wanted to go into Wildlife and Natural Resources. In college I found out that the field was full of environmentalists and females usually end up behind the desks which was the opposite of what I wanted to do. Props to her. I think if I ever wanted to pursue that field again I would want to go more into Search and Rescue.
They are taking five truck loads down to Quail Creek to let them go. It would be fun to look more into this type of bird that I think is called a Grebe since we had a great experience with them.

We are taking a break next week until January, but I'm sure the kids will be begging to do school stuff. I've got Kendi making beanies for her friends so that will hopefully keep her busy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like an adventure rounding up birds. Wish we could've been there to see.

    ReplyDelete