Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Wizard of Oz

I was really excited when I found this large picture book version of The Wizard of Oz at a used bookstore. The large artwork made it especially interesting. On the front of the book is has the original authors name, L. Frank Baum. I was very disappointed to open it up at home and find that it was really a condensed version. I always try to stick to originals as much as possible. In the end, the kids loved this book. It was perfect for young children. This story is very different from the movie we've all seen. The kids were riveted the whole time. Whenever we do long read alouds, I let the kids color or draw or do something quiet because they listen better and for a longer period of time. Kendi had just gotten a new Christmas coloring book that she was ecstatic about, but it didn't keep her from coming over and looking at the pictures and hanging on to every word. I really like the message of this book, "There's no place like home."

No comments:

Post a Comment