Monday, November 21, 2011

A Few Homeschool Days

Last year, on Veteran's Day, I took Kendi to our local Veteran's Day Assembly. I highly recommend taking your kids there. It was the first time Kendi asked questions about soldiers and war and we had some really good discussions. We heard local Veteran's stories and the high school band did a few numbers and we watched videos.

This year both of our kids were really sick on Veteran's Day so we stayed home and I felt bad that it was just going to pass us by. So, a week later, when we were in town to see the dentist I took them over to the Veteran's Memorial. We were lucky it was a beautiful day. The kids are pointing to the section of Bulloch's that served in WWII. My Grandpa's name is listed, but I don't think he actually made it into combat before the war ended. I had no idea that many soldiers served from our tiny little county. We estimated about 1400 names were listed.
My mom called while we were in town to see if we'd pick up some garden veggies before we went home. When we got there they were finishing up butchering one of the four animals (this one was an elk) they harvested this year. I let the girls stay longer to watch. Someone once laughed at me when I said I was a homeschooler. They thought I would hate to have to dissect a frog on my kitchen table. After all that my kids have seen of the anatomy of animals this year, dissecting a frog would seem silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment