Monday, October 10, 2011

Field Trip

We have been talking to Kendi about the history of reading and writing. We've talked a lot about petroglyphs. We are lucky to live in an area that is abundant with petroglyphs. On our way home from the Pumpkin Patch a few weeks ago we stopped by Parowan Gap. It is known for it's 1500 petroglyphs. Kendi was the first to spot some and was so excited.
(Someone once asked me if I highlight Kendi's hair. No! It is naturally like that.)

They call this the zipperglyph. It outlines the formation of the Gap in a long ridge of red cliffs. The sun sets down the center during equinox. It was a special place to the Native Americans who lived here. We were pressed for time and Kendi wanted to keep exploring. We had a hard time convincing her to go back to the car. She loved this. I can't wait to learn more about the history of our area and the people who made these.
I used to let Aydri watch cartoons for an hour in the morning while Kendi needed some peace to concentrate during homeschool. I noticed that Aydri was acting more ADHD at church and couldn't focus or sit still for anything. So now I don't put her in front of the TV anymore and it's made a big difference. Sometimes she will entertain herself with blocks and dolls or make a giant mess in her room and sometimes she will join us for homeschool. The messes don't bother me because she is using her imagination and being creative. I'm surprised at how much she joins in with homeschoo though.

On friday, Kendi and I sat down at the white board to brainstorm about a project we were going to start. We usually sit there to do reading first thing. Aydri sat down with us and started rattling off all of Kendi's sight words like we were going to do a reading lesson. She absorbs more than we realize.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog last night and well, I want to be you! My kids are the same ages (or close) and I wish with all my heart I could home school (I work). Love TJed, but not nearly as educated on it as you are.

    Just wanted to let you know I will be stalking your blog for ideas, I live in the same town. I will not leave my children's education solely in the hands of the schools.

    Oh, and keep those book reviews coming :)

    ReplyDelete