Friday, May 6, 2011

Experiment #1

I wasn't sure I was ready for this, but Kendi has been begging everyday to do Home-School. For more than a year now (sometimes off and on) we've made it part of our daily routine do some reading and writing together. Kendi has heard me talking a lot about TJed to Jared so she knew there was something I was holding out on her. So, today I decided to try it.

I had noticed that The Grimm's Fairy Tales were on the list of classics for TJed. I had already downloaded them for free a while ago, but hadn't actually read any of them to my kids yet. The first one on the list was titled The Golden Bird and it sounded great to Kendi.

We just read it all the way through. Next time we read a story, no matter how short, I think it would be better to stop and talk about it multiple times throughout. I wasn't even sure if Kendi was following me until later when she surprisingly repeated it back to her Daddy.

At first, this story seemed bizarre to me, but I figured that I'm not used to reading classic literature, especially ones that were as old as this. The story had such a strange ending that it threw me off for a minute. I wasn't sure I even wanted to discuss it with Kendi. I couldn't even think of questions to ask her. After taking a moment to put Aydri down for a nap it occurred to me that I could just focus on the good parts of the story.

We ended up having a great discussion about being obedient even when it's hard and doesn't seem like the normal thing to do. Kendi even drew a picture and I helped her write a journal entry about what she learned from the story.

If anything, I learned today that there is something we can dig out of every story that is worth talking about. I learned that it helps to organize the questions to lead from one thing to the next. And I should probably read through stories before I decide to read them with my kids. haha. TJed suggests studying Leadership Education for a whole year before you start implementing it into your home-school. Hopefully, I will learn enough about how to do this more effectively before Kendi starts 1st grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment