Sunday, April 15, 2012

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

I really enjoyed reading this book.  I was expecting it to be a difficult book to read, but it was surprisingly easy.  I'm always surprised when I'm able to pick up on the deeper meanings without having to be told what they are. Maybe this homeschool approach is finally working with me.  I am beginning to think deeper about everything I read.

Dickens does a really great job with describing the way Pip was brought up.  After his parents death's, Pip is left with his harsh sister, Mrs. Jo.  Pip's sister brags about how she "brought him up by hand" like it was an accomplishment and something that even Pip should be proud of.  I assume that, a long time ago, it was a rare thing and an accomplishment for a baby to survive infancy without being nursed by its mother and that is what they are referring to when they say being "brought up by hand."  I can't help but think that it really means that Pip was brought up not only without his mother's nourishment, but also without emotional nourishment as well.  This lack of love is what sets Pip up for social failure and awkwardness later in life.  The book goes on to illustrate the struggles of learning lessons without the help of a true caring mentor that only a parent can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment