Friday, April 22, 2011

An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

This book is not on the TJED list and I'm not sure why. I absolutely loved this book. I actually started reading it before I decided to start reading the classics. This book has so many moral lesson for people of all ages.

It's about a country girl that goes to stay with her friend's family in the city and is appalled by all the fashionable things they do. She realizes that this family is miserable despite all the riches they have. In the end, the old-fashioned, poor, country girl helps the family find true, lasting happiness even in the face of utter failure.

This book shines light on the ugliness of getting caught up in popularity, careless money habits, sibling relationships, neglectful parenting, and more. It is also a good example of finding joy in: simple things, service, selfless love, being an example of integrity when it isn't the popular thing to do and on and on and on.

This is a great book to start reading before young girls get caught up in fashion and popularity and teaches how to always be an example in every questionable situation. I learned a lot of new words from this book and will be reading it again and again and again. I can't wait to read it with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment